Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Happy Hair


For the first time in a while, I am becoming happy with my hair. Years of bleaching and heat made it very dry, frizzy and scary. But I've been on a new routine for about 6 months and it has made a huge difference. As follows ...

1) Stop coloring. And that included coloring to try to match my natural color. I decided I was going to grow it out no matter how bad or ugly it looked. Thankfully, ombre is trending! A lot of people ask if I had a my hair professionally "ombred". Nope, just roots and regrowth.

2) Cleansing Conditioner. I'm about halfway through my first bottle of Wen and the results were beyond expectation. Harsh shampoos with sulfates precluding me from having super soft hair - no more. I also only wash my hair a couple of times a week.

3) Minimal heat tools. I always air dry and then will curl my hair starting about 5 inches down from my roots. The first day looks like (above), day 2 settles into soft waves (no additional styling required) and day 3 may require a few touch ups or I pull my hair into a braid or bun. Usually after this I will end up washing my hair and repeating above. Once in a great while I straighten my hair but mostly try to avoid this since I notice it does the most damage to my hair.

And that's the hair routine. I also had chopped it off to my shoulders a few months ago to get rid of the damaged ends and am currently trying to regrow it into a long healthy mane following those steps. Any other hair tips I must know about?

Michelle

2 comments: